How to cut down a sliding screen door
Learn how to cut down a sliding screen door. Steve Tristan shows us how to cut down the Economy Sliding Screen Door by Best Custom Screens. The rolled formed steel frame can only be cut with three types of saws. Standard miter saws are too fast for this type of metal. Be aware that using the wrong type of miter saw and steel frame can damage the material and your saw.
The steps to cut down a sliding screen door are given below:
- Step 1: The first thing we’re going to do is actually the measurement of the size of screen door we need to cut.
- Step 2: Take a needle nose here to pull the spline to get it out and then you’re just gonna remove it so.
- Step 3: Take the top one off first and then side piece of spline up. Don’t re-spline and repeat it in the other side. be careful not to tear. Pull your screening out of the corners. Then take your dead blow hammer and pop off the top so hold down and other side as well.
- Step 4: There you can see the hole that we talked about and we’ll need to be drilled a new hole once we cut it. We’re gonna measure it to the outside not to the inside and mark it with an ice pick and cut it. I’m gonna try it with the evolution saw which will give you a much cleaner cut so it’s highly recommended.
- Step 5: The next step guys is to drill the hole for the screw to adjust your wheels up and down. Mark the point to drill a hole aligned with that hole and same thing on the opposite side.
- Step 6: If there are any burrs in the corners, just take them off. If you don’t do it, it ends up twisting a bit.
- Step 7: Reach screw with the screwdriver. Once the the frame is on then you just roll out your screen first. You have two types of rollers: rounded and concave.
- Step 8: Last thing is just push the bug seal back in here and it also confirmed that when you look at the holes where the screws are exposed which you’ll need to trim this off right now to match the door.
Types of Saws that were used:
- Hack Saw: https://amzn.to/335u58a
- and miter box: https://amzn.to/2RcJYqS
- Harbor Freight Tools 7 inch cut off saw for only $49.99
- Evolution Miter is an amazing saw that cut through almost any material. Wood, wood with nails, steel, aluminum, plastic, and composite. Order your Evolution Power Tools R255SMSDB+ 15 Amp 10 in. Premium Dual Bevel Sliding Miter Saw w/Laser and Multi-Material Cutting Blade. Purchase today on Amazon. https://amzn.to/3aVyNK4