Learn how to install screen doorS
Best Home Improvement detailed instructions
Learn how to DIY like an expert
Learn how to mount a swinging door screen in eight easy steps for the DIY person or handyman. Expert Steve Tristan trains Tony Meza on this video and we get to share in the experience through it. The instructions is a summary of our how to tutorial video on “How to install a screen door”. The video is very detailed and a little long, but well worth the knowledge it provides.
This is an EXCELLENT Video!! Thank you very much for being Detailed re: visual and verbal instruction. I searched many videos and am replacing a door on an older structure. More importantly, I really like the retractor higher than in the center. GREAT JOB!Paul B. on YouTube
To purchase a swinging screen door please go to https://bestcustomscreens.com/product/swinging-screen-doors/Steve Tristan
Here are the instructions on 8 Steps on how to install a screen door
Learn how to do it right
- Take the Swinging Screen door out the packaging.
- Be sure not to use a knife as if could cut the screen mesh or scratch the frame.
- Use tin snips or scissors where needed.
Mounting the Hinged U Channel
- First, measure the door opening height on the side where you are going to mount the hinge u channel.
- Second, cut it to size with a chop that cuts aluminum or a hacksaw.
- Third, install the U Channel in place inside of the door frame
Mounting screen door to u channel
- First, carefully slide the screen door into the hinged u channel.
- Second, adjust to fit in the door frame (see video)
- Third, install self tapping screws, using cordless drill on the inside and outside of the channel to
Mounting the bottom door sweep u channel
- First, measure door width of screen door and cut bottom channel to size.
- Second, slide the bottom u channel into place. Adjust as needed.
- Third, install self tapping screws using cordless power drill / driver.
Drilling hardware holes
- First, attach drill hole guide on inside of screen door frame with masking tape.
- Second, drill the holes with the correct size drill bits. See guide and video for more details.
Mounting the strike plate
- First, close the screen door to match the guide to the interior of the door frame.
- Second, mark the interior holes to the center of the guide by partially drilling the screw in. No more then 1/8′ deep.
- Third, mount the strike plate with screws and cordless drill.
Installing the latch
- First, assemble all required parts, see video for details.
- Second, insert machine screw into the interior side of the screen door.
- Third, tighten machine screws with a phillips screwdriver, hand tight. Be careful not to over tighten.
- Fourth, test the screen door is aligned with strike plate. If not make adjustments.
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR CS LATCH
CAUTION: LOCATE INSTALLATION SO THAT LATCH WILL NOT HIT ENTRANCE LOCK
- For accurate installation, follow instructions on drilling template
- Place spindle onto spring and insert them into outside handle
- Push this assembly through the drilled holes from the outside of door
- Then position latch mechanism over holes on inside of door and insert machine screws through door into threaded sleeves. Draw up firmly
- Position strike on stop to allow for positive latching.
- Pre-drill the wood stop with 3/32″ drill and attach with screws provided
- With door in closed position, place template on inside of door at desired height so that short folded end is against door stop and long part of template is against face of door.
- Mark position of the three holes
- Using a 1/4″ & 5/16″ drill, bore the indicated holes straight through the face of the door. NOTE: Ream out center hole by inserting drill and rotating with a slight wobbling action to clear hole and allow complete freedom of motion for spindle. SPINDLE MUST BE FREE
Mounting Door Closer
- Attach the bracket to the top of the door frame, assemble the door closer and screw into the top door frame.
- Please see video for mounting door closer. There are many steps and details to view.
- Test the screen door make sure the tension work on the door closer and that it closest properly.
What did you think about our 8 Steps on how to install a screen door ? Please leave comments on this page and on our YouTube Channel. Thank you.
Where to buy screen doors?
Find the best screen door to fit your door
- Double Sliding Screen DoorProduct on sale$599.99 – $799.99 price_excluding-tax
- Tahoe Screen Door – SwingingProduct on sale$369.99 – $379.99 price_excluding-tax
- Milano Premium Double Panel Retractable Screen DoorProduct on saleprice_excluding-tax
- Prairie 9-Lite Custom – Hinged Swinging Screen DoorProduct on saleprice_excluding-tax
- French Screen DoorsProduct on sale$599.99 – $874.99 price_excluding-tax
- Sentry Security Screen DoorProduct on saleprice_excluding-tax
- Superguard Grille – for Swinging & Sliding Screen DoorsProduct on saleprice_excluding-tax
- French Door Kit for Swinging Screen DoorsProduct on saleprice_excluding-tax
- Vista Custom – Hinged Swinging Screen DoorProduct on saleprice_excluding-tax
Need us to measure and install it?
Check our installation page to schedule service